Monday, March 4, 2013

3/1/2013- Robotech #11: Metamorphosis by Jack McKinney

I am not sure that reading novels based on weird dubs of 80s sci-fi anime is the best use of my time, but I do it anyway. I've been reading the Robotech novels like crazy lately, though I've been doing it wildly out of order, and on Friday, I finished Metamorphosis, the 11th of them. (The last one that I read was the 7th, so that should tell you my high regard for logic in this case.) It was something that I found at a used book store, so after I started reading it, I realized that it was the second book in the New Generation story arc. The story still made as much sense as it would have anyway, though, so it didn't bother me.

Like the other based-directly-on-episodes-of-the-cartoon Robotech books that I've read, Metamorphosis is decently written, if not occasionally a little dry, but full of parts where it seems like the author, constrained by the source material, is ready to pound his face into his writing desk. There's one part of this book in particular, where the book tries to explain why, if all of the Macross stuff took place in the same area just a few decades before, the characters come across a primitive society that prays to a dam that's almost worth every page of the novel. It's all sort of ridiculous, and this one, more than the other books in the series, is incredibly episodic. Seeing as I'm irrationally fascinated with Robotech, though, I really enjoyed it. It had enough sci-fi nonsense to last me through breaks on two less than thrilling days of subbing, and the characters in this story arc were really likable, too. Given the extremely specific target audience of this novel, I'm not sure if it would be proper for me to recommend it to anyone else. Still, for my own purposes, I'm way too excited that I've still got a stack of Robotech books to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment